Much of the Eastern Seaboard of the US was clouded over for the lunar eclipse on September 27, 2015. I happened to peruse a site of fellow astro-video users and found a series of photographs that recorded the event from La Pine, Oregon. We don’t normally sketch photographs, but several of these caught my eye. The background was unique and the colors prominent, and I made a new on-the-web friend after I chased down the author. He gave me permission to use one photo as a basis for a sketch. Thank you, again, Richard.
So was the eclipse a harbinger? This one was predictable like the others. It was one of several in the very recent past, but that happens, too. Let’s define the term “harbinger” in practical terms: a call or forth-telling of an event or period to warn, exhort, or prepare the hearers. Further, in real terms for a believer who walks and breaths, does the call specifically make a difference in practical life and affairs? In otherwords, the harbinger, if real, must make some practical difference. In those terms, the answer for a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ is a simple. The answer is “no” with respect to the eclipse.
However, before dismissing things too quick, there are existing warning, trends, and actions of believers that are encouraged or commanded that are outstanding or in force. The details are simple, clear, and have multiple biblical underpinnings. If a believer follows these, he or she will be fully engaged in this life until the Lord comes or they get taken “home.” Here are some examples, which are not complete, but are representative:
- Downward trend of sin. (Romans 1:18-32)
- Be watchful and alert. (Matthew 24:44-25:13)
- Don’t neglect so great a salvation. (Hebrews 2:1-4)
- The end is near, so live accordingly. (Revelation 22:20, 2 Peter 3, Hebrews 10:25)
- The end will come as a surprise to those who do not follow God. (Matthew 24:36-39)
- It takes effort, choices, walking soberly (all by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ) to hold fast to end, to maintain a walk that is pleasing to God. (Hebrews 3:7-19, Epesians 6)
- The universe had a beginning. Sin caused a profound change. (Genesis 1-3). Man’s behavior in that sin led to first world wide shaking that destroyed all mankind except one family (Genesis 3-9). A second ‘worldwide’ event will occur that will shake both the heavens and the earth. (Hebrews 12:25-29, 2 Peter 3) The second event will mark the end of the universe in short order but the two events are tied together in a number of ways and show a number of parallels. We are closer to that event today than ever.
- There are real differences in the life styles of people that God will clearly use to separate sheep from goats when the time of judgement comes (Matthew 25:31-46, Galatians 5:16-261 John 2:15-17)
So has the Good News of the Gospel changed? No. Are the requirements the same for a person to be born again as they were in the New Testament? Yes. Can you make it to God by being “good” as mankind’s terms of “good?” No. Is the grace of God the same today as it was in lives of believers over the ages? Yes. It is available for anyone who turns from his own way and calls upon the mighty name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Yes. The God of the Bible stands waiting. He waited for me and gave me rebirth. He can do that for anyone.
Beyond this, if you are hungry and have questions, contact us. And, in the meantime, observe conjunctions, eclipses, and other things in the heavens. They strongly hint at the Creator’s hand. that is why we post these sorts of things. Observe history and people. They have not changed either. They won’t get better on their own, in case you have not noticed. Things will not go on forever. God shall bring them to a close…on His command. This lunar eclipse will not happen again. Time passes and cannot be retrieved. Be wise in your choices.